Goodwill hunting

I've been woefully negligent in updating on here. The semester is done, though, and that means that I can spend more free time doing things of my choosing whilst not suffering from soul-crippling guilt.

For the mo, that means trolling Goodwill and "expressing myself" all over the furniture I pick up.

It all started with a $12 coffee table...



It was in pretty decent condition, i.e., not wobbly or unstable without any huge nicks or gashes. There was a fairly large water spot but nothing that wouldn't easily be fixed with some paint.


Close-up of the water stain and the detailing.

Even though I don't plan on keeping it (nor do I have the room for it), I used a deep, royal blue as a base that would coordinate with the motif I've got going in my bedroom.




I'm either going to paint or rob a bank.

Laying down the design presented a problem. I had originally planned on covering the back of the print-outs with white chalk then laying them on the tabletop and tracing the pattern with a marker but decided that I wanted to get it done quicker. So I tried just tracing it with black sharpie so that it would bleed through but that was inconsistent. Then I tried projecting it onto the table but it wasn't sharp enough. In the end, my first idea had been the best and since then I've used it on everything else. Could have been done a week sooner and with better results and less frustration had I not been so hasty and impatient. Story of my life.


Halfway through. Only camera I had at the time was the one on my phone so the colors aren't super true but close enough.

In the end, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I'm going to lay down a sealant over the top this weekend now that I have a proper one, but it's 99.9% finished and ready to be utilized.



Since then, I've purchased an end table and a few small frames to work on for others as well as a ginormous mirror and a birdcage that I'll be using myself. A coworker runs a successful boutique every three months and so now I'm in the beginning stages of setting up an LLC so I can maybe start making money on my trials and errors. I have a million ideas and they only multiple the more I do.

I missed being creative.

1 comments:

Steffie said...

Soul crippling guilt? When did you convert?